Sunday, October 24, 2010

My Big Fat Greek Decision

No, I'm not Greek. That was just to get your attention.

Okay, here's my decision -- Now that my husband Michael is well I'm going to start writing again, but I'm not going to write for a commercial publishing house. I'm not going to write what an editor wants or what my agent thinks an editor wants. I'm going to write what I want to write, and hopefully what you want to read.

How am I going to do this? By epublishing my books myself. I can do that now, thanks to Kindle, Nook and the other reading devices out there. I don't know them all; I'm still learning about epublishing so feel free to educate me.

When I realized I could do this, that I didn't have to twist myself into a pretzel to give Editor A what she wants, or what my agent thinks she wants, that all I have to do is write the book and hit publish, I got so light-headed I had to lie down.

Until I finish a new book I'm publishing my backlist titles that I have the rights to on Kindle. Here are the titles I've put up so far on Amazon:

Captain Rakehell
The Duke's Downfall
Nightwing
Molly and the Phantom
Second Sight
Remembrance

Captain Rakehell and The Duke's Downfall are Regencies I wrote for Fawcett as Jane Lynson. Molly and the Phantom, Second Sight and Remembrance are paranormals I wrote for Harlequin Temptation and Nightwing, also a Temptation, is a vampire romance.

I'm having a blast doing this. It takes time to learn the conversion process, to come up with covers and blurbs, but it's fun. The best part of epublishing is that I'm in control -- I'm in charge of everything. I'm the author, the editor, the copy editor, and the cover designer. Note that I didn't say artist. I can't draw a straight line with a ruler.

Captain of my own ship. Mistress of my own destiny at last. Woo! I'm feeling light-headed again.

No comments: