Sunday, January 01, 2012

My New Year's Eve

My 2011 ended on a high note when I finally got to watch An Affair to Remember from start to finish. I've seen, and loved, the tail end of this movie at least twenty times. With Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr what's not to love? But somehow I've always managed to miss the entire movie.

On Friday night I caught the last half hour again after Michael and I watched Part 2 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I griped to Michael that the end was all I'd ever seen. He yawned and went to bed, but Saturday morning he told me that An Affair to Remember was on at 3:30 in the afternoon.

No, he's not clairvoyant. He actually knows how to scroll through the program menu on U-Verse. I can't even find the program menu. That probably explains why I kept missing the movie, huh?

Now that I've seen the beginning and the middle, the end makes a lot more sense. I love the scene with Cary Grant on a scaffold painting a billboard. White coveralls never looked so good on a man. Deborah Kerr was delightful, even when she was lip-syncing Marnie Nixon.

I could've done without the kids singing. One song, okay, but I thought two was overkill, and obvious filler. An editor would've said the same thing if I'd written those two songs into a book.

And what ugly hats they put on those kids! Michael and I wore hats like those when we were kids. A hat that ugly clapped on your little blond noggin during your formative years will put you off hats for the rest of your life. Trust me.

Now that I've seen every Golden-Age-of-Hollywood moment of this romantic classic, from opening to closing credits, it gives me hope that I'll be able to check a couple of other things off my To Do List in 2012. Like finish at least one of the three books I planned to write in 2011.

Wish me luck!

No comments: